Monday, May 8, 2017

Vol State TSBDC Celebrates 10 Years Serving Small Business


Small business owners often need help in navigating the marketplace. With 2,000 clients, 188 business starts and more than $25 million in capital formation, the Tennessee Small Business Development Center (TSBDC) at Volunteer State Community College has been providing that assistance. The Vol State TSBDC is celebrating a ten-year anniversary. Clients say they have benefited in everything from formulating business plans to advice in marketing. The TSBDC offers free workshops, classes and one-on-one help.



“I got so much great advice and encouragement from Charles and TSBDC when I started my business.  I still hear his voice in my head saying that it just takes time to build a business,” said Kristie Rigdon of My Veggie Chef. 





“We are so grateful to Charles Alexander and the Tennessee Small Business Development Center for helping us successfully launch our new venture, Pour Vous Wine, Spirits and Beer Warehouse,” said Evelyn Bonds. “What an awesome resource they were to us for developing and implementing a marketing plan appropriate for our industry, location, and size.  The research and free seminars were invaluable and represented huge cost savings.” 

TSBDC clients come from a wide variety of business types, have including restaurants, recycling companies, and insurance companies.

“This has been a very interesting ride,” said TSBDC Director Charles Alexander. “When we started this TSBDC 10 years ago, social media wasn’t really a thing and the big concern for entrepreneurs was spending money on the Yellow Pages.  Since then we’ve had the Great Recession and a local economic boom.  This has been so much fun that I can’t believe I get paid to do it.  I get to selfishly see the help we provide, make an immediate impact on our community.  However, the real credit goes to the business owners.  It’s their hard work, risk, and determination that allows me to have this career.  I’m especially thankful to my supervisor Hilary Marabeti, our local donors, and my sidekick, Dave Jose for making this center thrive.”


1 comment :

  1. Glad to know about this service serving the small business. Want to arrange a meeting at one of corporate events NYC. It will be an annual meeting so want to give my best there. Preparing everything best for the day. Hope it will be a successful one.

    ReplyDelete